Fire safety is one of the utmost important protocols a company should have in the workplace. As many workplaces require various machines and materials that can quickly set aflame, this is non-negotiable. However, the company often overlooks fire safety in the workplace. If not overlooked, some companies do not know exactly how to successfully implement fire safety precautions in a work setting. Or furthermore, how to successfully educate employees on proper fire safety etiquette. In this article, we have prepared a complete guide to fire safety courses in Singapore to help you and your company provide a safe and efficient work environment.
Why do we need to learn fire safety?
First and foremost, why is it important that we learn fire safety? The essence of fire safety is not only about protecting employees and other assets during a possible fire. It is also about preventing it from occurring. Moreover, it is crucial fire safety is implemented in the workplace for specific points such as:
- Reduce risk of injury or endangerment to employees and customers
- Minimize damage to facilities, assets, and the building itself
- Protection against possible lawsuits, fines, and loss of loyal customers
- Prevention of lost jobs due to foreclosure
Who should take a fire safety course?
Fire safety training is one of the mandated fire safety training courses following SCDF requirement in Singapore. As a result , the regulations call for every business that requires to develop an Emergency Response Plan for their company building or premise or project to enrol all their Company Emergency Response Team members (CERT) and staff. It doesn’t matter what industry you are from as fires can occur in any place, at any time. That is why all employees need to be knowledgeable on what to do in case of an emergency.
What will you learn in a fire safety course?
For the protection and precautionary measures, fire safety courses cover topics such as preventing fire hazards and correct procedures, as follows:
- What to do in case of a fire – apart from knowing what the safety plan is when a fire breaks out, employees must also know important factors. For instance, where the exits are and how to secure each door upon exit. Most importantly, the meet-up places after evacuation, and immediate actions necessary to prevent a fire
- It is also essential to educate employees on how to activate fire alarms and sprinklers in the area
- How to use a fire extinguisher – knowing how to open and operate a fire extinguisher is vital. It will help in preventing fires from spreading and protecting people in the workplace
- Types and causes of fires and how to contain them — proper training will help employees determine whether it is possible to contain a fire, or when it is time to evacuate. This is especially essential for healthcare workers. Similarly, employees on remote sites with no accessible emergency services, and those at industrial sites with volatile contaminants
- Fire prevention – in-depth training on how to recognise fire hazards, minimise risk in hazardous environments, and proper remedy after fire risk
Are Fire Safety Courses difficult, lengthy and far away to be trained?
If you are not part of Company Emergency Response Team members (CERT), but you are a fire warden or organization that wanted the company staff to learn proper fire safety skills and knowledge, there are also shorter in-house fire safety training that can be conducted at your premises.
Advance Safe Can Provide You With In-house Fire Safety Training!
Knowing how to act should a fire arise at your workplace is an essential skill that you and your employees must have. Any action these people take can directly affect the situation and the others around them. Therefore, you should ensure that the training has equipped every individual properly. With Advance Safe Consultants, we provide you with the right fire safety course that you need to equip your business with the appropriate fire safety knowledge, providing the protection and security you need! Contact or call us via (+65) 6252 4456 today!